THIS SUNDAY, 3/1
Choir: I Stand Upon the Rock Medley
Preacher: Jim Gerlt
Praise Team: 6pm in the Worship Center
Adult Choir: 7:15pm in the CHOIR ROOM behind the Choir Loft
Handbells: Sundays: 4pm. (no rehearsal this Sunday, 3/1)
SUNDAY EVENING PREACHING/TEACHING SERIES – “AWAKENINGS: THE AFTERLIFE”
BHBC Worship Center; 5:30-6:15pm (Remaining Sessions)
3/1 – “A New Heaven: The Coming Kingdom” – Revelation 21:1-4
3/8 – “Heaven Help Me: How Hope Can Heal the Tired, Wounded & Broken” – Romans 8:18-21; 15:13
SEARCHING FOR A NEW PASTOR: A BRIEF THEOLOGY
Don’t read anything into the timing of this blog – the Search Team at BHBC is 100% solid.
I’ve actually been writing this blog for years – a little at a time. Now, serving in my third successive church while searching for a pastor, the Holy Spirit impressed me to finish it out and publish it. Enjoy…
Whenever I read someone’s theology/worldview, etc., I try and find out something about their journey as to how they arrived at their present convictions. While reading Dr. Mike Licona’s (one of my prof’s) review of Dr. Bart Ehrman’s book, Forged, (a book arguing for the forgery of the canonical gospels) I couldn’t help but notice how Dr. Ehrman, after studying at the prestigious – and conservatively Christian – Moody Bible Institute, “jettisoned his faith while teaching at Rutgers.” Dr. Ehrman, a New Testament scholar and professor at the University of NC, describes himself as an “agnostic with atheistic leanings.” (Coincidentally, I plan on attending – online – Moody Bible Institute after I complete my degree at HBU.)
Disclaimer: My personal conviction is that Scripture clearly teaches there is no such thing as “deconversion”. To cite a few passages, the Parable of the Sower, Jesus’ words to Nicodemus about being “born again” (physically, it’s possible to change your convictions, but it’s impossible to be “un-born”), and Paul’s teaching that we are “sealed with the Holy Spirit” at conversion, all reinforce, in my opinion, the doctrine of “once genuinely saved, always saved.” To be able to somehow “un-earn” our salvation infers we were able to “earn” it, which is heresy. We are saved “by grace, through faith, in Christ alone.” He “earned” our salvation. So, these people listed below, in my opinion, never truly professed faith in Christ, but merely “tasted”.
The reason the “deconversion” of Ehrman’s life jumped out at me like a neon light is because of, both, articles I’ve read and visits I’ve had just in the past several months. “Deconversion” has become a trend, of sorts. It reminds me of Paul’s warning to Timothy about the End Times: “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons.” (1 Timothy 4:1)
1. Christian Sociologist, Tony Campolo’s son, Bart, made internet headlines with his deconversion. Bart is now the Humanist Chaplain at USC. You can hear part of his story here.
2. George Perdikis, co-founder of the Christian band, The NewsBoys, recently posted his deconversion. You can read it here.
3. Last semester, I had a wonderful 2-hour visit with an ardent atheist friend of mine. I learned a lot about his background. For instance, 6 years ago he was attending a local Christian church and teaching a Men’s Bible Class. But, over time, he “deconverted.”
4. Former pastor, Ryan Bell, published his story on CNN’s web site. He stated, “My appreciation for life and its potential increased when I stepped away from my faith.” You can read his story here.
HOW 21 DEATHS ARE UNITING CHRISTIANS IN EGYPT
Powerful…. “What man intends for evil, God intends for good…..Christ wins. Always.”
Read the article from Christianity Today here.
DR. HOLLY ORDWAY, DR. NANCY PEARCEY & PROFESSOR MARY JO SHARP
Christianity Today is doing a story on Women Apologists. And these three HBU prof’s are all being interviewed. Dr. Ordway, far left, is my advisor. I have books in my library by Dr. Ordway (an avowed atheist prior to her profession of faith in Christ) and Dr. Pearcey (center.) These ladies are absolutely brilliant.
DOES SCIENCE ARGUE FOR, OR AGAINST, GOD?
Great 5-minute video by best-selling author, Eric Metaxas. This will, both, strengthen your faith, as well as equip you to defend your faith.
OH, TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THE VIOLIN LIKE THIS MAN
He’s putting his own spin on the very popular song, Secrets.
GO GET YOUR FREE DONUT TODAY (2/24)
“THE KEY TO PRAYER IS SIMPLY PRAYING” (A.W. Tozer)
Reminder: BHBC will be open every Saturday at 5pm (unless notified otherwise) for prayer-walking.
QUOTE(s) of the WEEK
“If someone hurts you, first try to figure out if that hurt was intentional. Not every hurt is an attack.” Author Unknown
“Describe the God you rejected… Describe the God you don’t believe in… Maybe I don’t believe in *that* God either.” —Tim Keller, pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC.
Never Forget: Christianity Requires Faith – But So Does Darwinian Evolution – “Evolution itself is accepted by zoologists not because it has been observed or… can be proved by logically coherent evidence to be true; but because the only alternative, Special Creation, is clearly incredible.” – C.S. Lewis quoting D.M.S. Watson in Lewis’ “The Weight of Glory.” Dr. Watson FRS was the Jodrell Professor of Zoology and Comparative Anatomy at University College, London from 1921 to 1951.
LAUGHTER IS GOOD MEDICINE:
1) I don’t do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.
2) I live in my own little world. But it’s OK. They know me here.
3) Every time I walk into a singles bar I can hear Mom’s wise words: “Don’t pick that up, you don’t know where it’s been!”
4) A good friend will come and bail you out of jail…but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, “Wow that was fun!!”
5) I signed up for an exercise class and was told to wear loose-fitting clothing. If I HAD any loose-fitting clothing, I wouldn’t have signed up in the first place!
6) When I was young we used to go “skinny dipping,” now I just “chunky dunk.”
7) Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
8) Why is it that our children can’t read a Bible in school, but they can in prison? (good point)
9) If raising children was going to be easy, it never would have started with something called LABOR!
GRACE NOTES: “What I’ve Learned From a Dislocated Knee-Cap”
Soli Deo Gloria, Nick